Perfect for Cyclists, Swimmers, Runners and Triathletes
Those brand name energy gels and bars are expensive. So make your own!
We fell in love with this recipe we found on trailrunnermag.com added a powerful natural supplemental punch! Lemongrass Essential Oil promotes healthy digestion and boosts your body’s natural immune response. It also tastes great! Get your doTERRA Lemongrass oil here. >> Click Here for Purchase Info <<
The gels store at room temperature, and since they are made with natural fruit pectin, not gelatin, they are 100% vegan! Fruit pectin can be found in supermarkets or hardware stores where canning products are shelved.
MAKES 45 SQUARES
1 cup light-colored natural cane sugar or granulated sugar
1 cup organic 100% fruit juice or fruit nectar, pulp-free (e.g., apple, cherry, mango, or berry)
1 3-ounce pouch liquid fruit pectin
1/4 cup honey, agave nectar, or DIY Glucose Syrup (see page 2)
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
SPECIAL INGREDIENT - 1 drop doTERRA Lemongrass Essential Oil >> Click Here for Purchase Info <<
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Lightly spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar, fruit juice, pectin, honey, and salt until thoroughly blended.
3. Bring mixture to a full boil over medium-high heat, whisking continuously. Reduce heat to medium and continue whisking for 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat and whisk in the lemon juice. Pour into the prepared pan.
4. Loosely cover the pan with a clean dish towel and let stand at least 12 hours until firm (do not refrigerate).
5. Invert the pan on a cutting board to release the gel. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-inch squares.
These will remain gelled at room temperature so simply wrap in plastic wrap or place in a small zipper-top plastic bag when heading out for an adventure.
Serving size: 5 squares
Fat: 0 g, (Saturated 0 g)
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 67 mg
Carbs: 33.7 g (Fiber 0.5 g, Sugars 32.9 g)
- Protein: 0.1 g\
Recipe courtesy of Trail Runner Magazine: